Thursday, January 27, 2005

The Warty Warthog



"..."Ubuntu" is an ancient African word, meaning "humanity to others". Ubuntu also means "I am what I am because of who we all are". The Ubuntu Linux distribution brings the spirit of Ubuntu to the software world..."


It took me less than 30 minutes to install and upgrade this beautiful GNU/Linux distro. Its GNOME Desktop is slick yet fast, and I am not at all dissapointed, being a fanatic KDE user. Most of the times, I swithed distributions because of GDM but not this time.
Tips:
  • If you want to change the root password type:
    host~#: sudo passwd root
  • To allow root logins type:
    host~#: gdmconfig It invokes the configuration panel for your login screen.
Appropriate OS for

  • programming
  • developement
  • Simple/Medium Server applications
I work with NetBeans 4.0 IDE on J2SDK 1.5.0_01 and the system is faster than the SuSE 9.1 Personal and SLES 9. I think only Solaris 10 beats it in speed if you are a Java developer.

No comments: